Wednesday, November 6, 2013

5 Ways to Style a Plaid Shirt

Hello and happy Wednesday! Lately Ive seen some most of my favorite fashion bloggers and celebrities wearing plaid shirts in so may ways and thought it would be fun to put a few looks together and share them with you. There are endless possibilities when styling a plaid shirt but I narrowed my favorite down to 5. Enjoy!

Chic


Plaid shirts are versatile and can be worn both up or down. For a dressier look, I took a statement necklace in the lightest shade of the shirt and wore it over the collar. I matched my clutch and heels in the same minty tone to add a feminine touch. Ripped jeans added an edge to the chicness but simple jeans or even a circle skirt tucked over the top would look really nice. I had to finish off this look by adding my signature berry lip which brings out the darkest tone in my top.

Plaid Shirt: Abercrombie & Fitch // Jeans: Abercrombie & Fitch // Bag: Ross // Heels: Red Kiss Necklace: Dots // Cuff: Forever21 // Watch: MK

Preppy



Any type of collar shirt, not necessarily one with a plaid print, looks classic worn under a sweater or simple long sleeved dress like this one. I decided to go for a chunky knit sweater dress in the same color as the top. You can barely see but I did add a tan skinny belt to cinch my waist since the layering made me look wider. This outfit is a perfect school girl look with a longer length on the dress. I folded the sleeves over the dress to show more of the plaid. Its been years I haven't worn these wedged booties and thought they looked great with this ensemble but I would also do flats and even white converse. 

Plaid Shirt: Hollister // Dress: Forever21 // Wedged Booties: Local Boutique // Bag: Forever21
Belt: Forever21 // Watch: MK // Glasses: Bebe

Sporty


A cropped sweater over a plaid top looks effortlessly well put together. This is not a look I would typically go for but I love the girly and sporty combo given off by wearing sneakers. 
I chose this fun pink color for my top to match my wedge sneakers under a sweater that has silver sequins for a dash of glam. Phrase snap backs are also very trendy so I decided to snap one on my belt loops for a unique look. 

Plaid Shirt: Hollister // Sweater: Papaya // Jeans: H&M // Wedge Sneakers: Nike 
Snapback: Forever21 // Watch: MK

Rocker


I would have to say that the rocker look is my favorite out of the 5. The plaid shirt has dark gray tones with a touch of neon lime which was a nice pop of color since I am mainly wearing dark tones. I decided to layer this shirt over a graphic top and add a faux-leather jacket for that rocker edge. Black buckled booties toughened up the look. For extra warmth, I wore black socks over the grey opaque tights. The beanie and dark plum lip completed my look. Just like my next look, this ensemble would also look great with jeans.

Plaid Shirt: Aeropostale // Graphic Tee: Forever21 // Jacket: Rainbow // Shorts: Ross 
 Tights: Forever21 // Socks: Forever21 // Booties: Express // Bag: Forever21 // Beanie: Wal-Mart

Laid Back


I am ending my 5 looks with this laid back comfy look. Tying a plaid shirt around your waist with almost any outfit has been spotted by celebrities such as Ciara, Rihanna and even Kanye West. I tied the two sleeves through the belt loops on my shorts. For that cozy feel, I wore a chunky dark teal infinity scarf over a plain loose top. Cheetah print can work as a neutral so I added a second print by wearing this cute small crossbody wallet. It fits my phone, money, lip gloss and compact mirror, which is all I need for those chill days. 

Plaid Shirt: Hollister // Top: Victoria Secret // Scarf: Forever21 // Shorts: ZD // Bag: Steve Madden  Boots: Forever21 // Sunnies: Rue21

Post a Comment