Friday, November 1, 2013

DIY Flapper Girl Dress

Happy Friday! As promised on yesterdays post, I will be sharing with you  today my DIY flapper dress. A few weeks back I stumbled across this gorgeous head piece with shiny stones and light pink feathers at Charlotte Russe. Even if it wasn't for Halloween, I had to have it! After several days of it just sitting there, I decided to google a few looks that it would look good for Halloween. The obvious option that drew me in was the flapper girl look. 
I did not want to purchase a flapper costume because I wanted to challenge myself by designing a dress as a fun project. As always procrastination hit me and I ended up looking for a flapper dress on Halloween day but the ones I liked were sold out. Bummer! The day was passing by so fast so I decided to try a thrift store for vintage dresses. Luckily I found this silver dress with glitter. In my mind, I thought to myself that I could make it work since I could not find anything else. My next stop was a shoe boutique where I found silver shoes with a low heel just like they were worn in the 20's. In order to transform the dress to a flapper dress my plan was to add fringe and embellishment for a fancier design. I purchased all supplies at Hobby Lobby and hot glued on both the fringe and gems to finish faster. My idea was to keep the top of the dress simple and add the famous dropped waist with the fringe. I loved the exposure in the back so I decided to add some fringe to the top portion only and gems at the end of the ties. I would have also liked to completely cover the dress in fringe but that is too typical. My creation may not be the best or perfect but I love the outcome. I hope you do too ;)
In the roaring 20's, women had short fingered waved hair and wore a headpiece. I purchased a blond curly wig with a bob cut. I added a sock purchased right in the wig store to hide my hairline first then added the wig over it. To finish off my look, I placed my headband over my hair adjusting and tugging a few hairs to get the look I desired. Here it is gals my flapper costume! 

- Madelleyn


Here you can see exactly how I purchased the dress...

 

and below is the finished dress! I layered a long pearled necklace wrapped twice around the neck and another necklace that has gems and pearls. 


Here is a closer look at the front and back details...




and here is the precious headband!



Costume Summary:

Dress: Thrifted // Wig: Anytime (Adonia style in color 613) // Necklaces: borrowed
Headpiece: Charlotte Russe // Fringe and Gems: Hobby Lobby 




Post a Comment